Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Note on the Weekend Blackout and Blog Move

An apology to everyone who clicked on the links to the former address of this blog and got an error page. The problem is that last weekend (spoiler alert: completely unnecessary plug) I published the newest incarnation of my homepage. This involved redirecting the DNS address to the servers of the company that provides the service of (partially) hosting the site. This had the unfortunate consequence of crippling the WordPress site. I was dimly aware that this might happen, but I simply disregarded the little voice in my head that always tends to be right. Therefore, you have only my own incompetence to blame for the mess. Believe me, I am a reluctant techie and a times not a very good one.

Despite some teething pain, I was growing quite fond of the old WordPress incarnation, but now it is gone, gone, gone. The new homepage provider allows me to create another WordPress blog which is also redirected, but unfortunately it doesn't provide the same "theme" I was using before. This obliges me to pick a new theme and start tinkering with it, which will require a lot of time and patience that, for the moment, I simply lack. So for the moment, I have simply posted the Didier Hélin posts that have generated so much interest, sans comments.

Several readers asked about the comments. I know, I know. That was an integral part of the Didier Hélin posts. Fear not. Everything was backed up. The problem is that everything is in MySQL format and not easily transportable either to Blogger, which requires .xml, or to WordPress, which inexplicably requires something called .wxr. I successfully created an .xml from the .sql, but Blogger's import app simply laughed in my face. Therefore, I have to find some time and figure this mess out. In the meantime, if someone knows how to solve this difficulty, get in touch with me.

In any case, once again: a thousand apologies. And thank you for the interest and forbearance.

Miguel Llorens is a freelance financial translator based in Madrid who works from Spanish into English. He is specialized in equity research, economics, accounting, and investment strategy. He has worked as a translator for Goldman Sachs, the US Government's Open Source Center and H.B.O. International, as well as many small-and-medium-sized brokerages and asset management companies operating in SpainTo contact him, visit his website and write to the address listed there. Feel free to join his LinkedIn network or to follow him on Twitter.

2 comments:

Alex Eames said...

Hi Miguel,

can you get your data out by creating a new wordpress install (much along the lines of the second part of this blog post I wrote about backing up a wordpress blog?)

http://alexeames.com/blog/2010/how-to-backup-and-restore-wordpress-3-01-blog/

Or can you access the old one (using the IP address, rather than domain name) and export it to XML from your control panel using (Tools > Export)?

Hope the second one works because that would be dead easy. (Or is that whay you already did?)

At least the data is there.
Possible third option might be to create a new wordpress blog on worpress.com and import the WXR or MYSQL file?

One of these has GOT to work :)

Miguel Llorens M. said...

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the tips. I actually don't have access to the old blog because the DNS redirect sort of blew away all the files on my old site. The new service doesn't admit a Wordpress reinstall, although it does allow me to create a new WP blog using a subdomain of my site. However, the options on this version of WP are slightly different and don't contain the exact same app that backed up my old blog automatically. Ergo, the only option is the last one you mention: recreate another WP.org site and reimport the backups. This is what I'll eventually do when I find a little window of time. Thanks for the link, as well. Cheers